Trevor Stasik - About Me

Saturday, March 14, 2009

We Surround Them, You Are Not Alone

I just finished watching the Glenn Beck "We Surround Them, You Are Not Alone" special on YouTube. Okay, I am interested in Glenn Beck's 9.12 project. Some people think he's crazy, but some think that his insanity is perfectly rational for the times. If you saw the video and feel like leaving me a message, go ahead. Looking at the 9 values listed on The 9.12 Project Website, I'd say I agree with 8 of them. As a topic of conversation, I've placed the 9 values below with a short comment about each.


1. America Is Good.
Agree. Generally speaking, I think that our nation always seeks out and thrives upon the betterment of all mankind. We may not always do the right thing, but I do feel that our nation has the best of intentions.

2. I believe in God and He is the Center of my Life.
Disagree. I do not believe in God, but I understand that the nation was founded with many principles that were derived from religion. I disagree with this principle, but I think I understand the importance of it to those that have religious beliefs.

3. I must always try to be a more honest person than I was yesterday.
Agree Absolutely. I'm not perfect, but I've always tried to be an honest man.

4. The family is sacred. My spouse and I are the ultimate authority, not the government.
Agree. Once I have kids, I don't want the government telling me how to raise or educate them. Keep them out of my family decisions.

5. If you break the law you pay the penalty. Justice is blind and no one is above it.
Agree. If we applied the same standards to Bernie Madoff as we do to those that don't have rich lawyers, people might not feel so upset.

6. I have a right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, but there is no guarantee of equal results.
Agree. We should all have the same liberty to pursue our dreams, but there are no guarantees that we will get it. Just because you have the desire to be a rock star, the raw talent to be a rock star, and you've practiced to be a rock star, doesn't guarantee that you are going to make it through the first round of American Idol. It also doesn't guarantee to a bailout if you didn't get selected.

7. I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable.
Agree. You should be able to choose who you give your hard earned money to. I disagree with the government taxing us just so those tax dollars can go to charities I otherwise would not support.

8. It is not un-American for me to disagree with authority or to share my personal opinion.
Agree. I disagreed with Bush Sr., Clinton, Bush Jr. and Obama on a number of issues. For the record, I also agreed with them on a number of issues too. I should be able to speak my mind more freely on these issues without fear of reprisal or attack.

9. The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.
Agree. The Constitution says "We The People... of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America". We the people give to power to the government. Read the Constitution HERE.

Glenn Beck's show was a great way to start the conversation. Feel free to comment.




View Trevor Stasik's profile on LinkedIn



I've used many different labels for this post because I think that these principles can affect people in many areas of their lives.
Post a Comment