Trevor Stasik - About Me

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Why I Will Be Voting For Mitt Romney


Why I Will Be Voting For Mitt Romney - An Editorial
by Trevor Stasik, 11/03/2012

I feel that I should state why I will be voting for Mitt Romney in this election cycle.  Perhaps by putting this down in writing, it will help someone else with making a decision one way or another.  I feel that I should explain myself for friends and family that will be disappointed in my decision.  Furthermore, it will be useful for me to look back later on to remind myself why I decided to vote this particular way.

First, from an economic point of view, my vote makes no statistical difference.  The odds that my individual vote or voice will affect the outcome of the election are less than that of my odds to win the Powerball.  Understanding this, I still find the U.S. political process interesting and one that I want to take part in.  I do feel a duty as an American citizen to vote when it is possible to do so.  Thousands of people have died to give me the ability to have this right.  I also get a little “kick” of adrenaline when I get to push that little button; its fun to feel like I am a part of the process. Therefore, I will vote in this election.  

Let me also be honest that Libertarian Candidate Gary Johnson is far closer to my personal policy positions than that of the two mainstream candidates.  Unfortunately, Gary has not garnered a large enough of a following for me to vote 3rd party this election.  This time I feel that one of the mainstream choices is acceptable-enough that I will vote for them.

I disagree with a number of Romney’s purported policies; many of which I feel will be a continuation of the failed policies of George W. Bush and Barack Obama.  Romney will likely continue the expansionist, interventionist policies of the last two Presidents.  I do not expect him to reduce the use of military drones and I do not believe that he will reduce the number of foreign engagements that we are involved in.

I agree with some of Obama’s social positions more than I do Romney’s.  I am pro-choice and pro-gay marriage.  However, I also do not think that it is the government’s business to be involved in writing any legislation for or against either of these issues.  If the states want to tackle it, fine.  However, I do not think that the federal government should be in the business of telling people how to love or take care of their own bodies.  

Ultimately, I will typically vote on only two issues:  National Security and the Economy.  On National Security, any success this administration has had has been because of Hillary Clinton.  Obama has been a drone-king and he misunderstands the Middle East.   I think that Romney will probably be another interventionist trying to start wars.  I think that both Romney and Obama are too similar for me to base my decision on this.

Which brings me to one issue left that I am voting on in this election - The Economy.  President Obama has had 4 years to do something.  He has put in a disastrous Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner, spent 2 years forcing an unwanted healthcare bill down the throats of Americans, and has generated trillions in new debt.  He has been unable to create any non-stimulus jobs.  I firmly believe that there is a 100% likelihood that if Obama is re-elected, our economy will continue to tailspin.  

That is not to say that Romney is guaranteed to fix this economic mess - I am afraid that he will be a big business Keynesian like George W. Bush.  Even the brilliant economic hawk Paul Ryan cannot convince me that they will be able to balance the budget.  However, I think that Romney has a fiscal competency and financial understanding that has been completely missing from the White House for the last 12 years.  There is hopefully a possibility of success with a Romney Presidency.  There is a possibility, however slim, that things will change; that things will get better, government will get smaller, spending will shrink, support of small business will expand, and jobs will return.   Hopefully.

In this election, I am voting for a mainstream candidate.  I am usually inclined to vote for a 3rd party, but not this year.  This year, I am voting for a chance that this candidate might fix this economy, because I do not believe that there is any chance that the current President will ever fix it.  I am voting for a chance of recovery.

I will be voting for Mitt Romney.  








View Trevor Stasik's profile on LinkedIn


Post a Comment