Trevor Stasik - About Me

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Human. Resource. Blog. Labels.

I have been trying to figure out how best to organize my blog as it currently stands. I thought it would be a good idea to bring my readers and friends in to my thought process. Please feel free to leave a comment or suggestion down below.

Human. Resource. Blog. Labels.

As I try to expand my knowledge in the human resources and management fields, and subsequently my contributions via blog and social media postings, I am finding that I will need to update my labels.  Today, my topic is organizational in nature.  I want my blog to be more useful to navigate for HR professionals while retaining all existing posts.  Let’s see if I can figure out a better way to organize my blog.  These are the labels I am thinking of using.

Label - Government and Regulation
This topic will cover any HR or business management regulations.  This includes fairness, discrimination, employment, benefits, etc.   

Label - Events
HR is frequently involved in planning company events.  There should be a label available for discussing the planning of events, as well as discussing any major events that I may find myself involved with in the future.

Label - Interviews
This HR topic is one I have already spent a good bit of time discussing.  HR spends a lot of time talking to people and this label will cover that.

Label - Resumes
This label is self-explanatory - it will encompass Resumes.

Label - Recruiting and Job Search
This HR topic will discuss ways employers find and attract talent, and how candidate pursue opportunities.  This label will often be attached in addition to the Interviews and Resumes labels.

Label - Compensation
HR is often involved in determining what range an employee is going to be paid.  I should have a label to include any of these posts and discussions.

Label - Performance Management
This label will cover Performance Reviews as well as ways HR and Management can increase the efficiency, accuracy, creativity and output of employees.

Label - Benefits and Total Rewards
This is the topic that will cover anything that an employer offers their employees outside of their paycheck:  401k, 403b, IRA, Healthcare, Insurance, Pensions, Employee Assistance, Transportation, Concierge Service, Education Reimbursement, Children’s Daycare, Etc.

Label - Communications
This is the topic that will cover communications between employees, management, and HR, and also Social Media.

Label - Training and Development
This covers all of the processes of putting together training programs, delivering presentations for training purposes, mentoring, and delivering things like Web-Ex training. 

Label - Testing
This HR topic will cover everything from employment testing, to PHR testing, to drug testing.  If it has the word “test” in the body of the text, you will probably find it here.

Label - Technology
This label will cover HRIS and HRMS, as well as more general technology used for management purposes.  You may find discussions of PeopleSoft, Oracle, SAP, Blackberry, Android, Microsoft, Apple, or any number of other tech related items under this label.

Label - Human Resources
This will be an overarching label covering anything remotely related to Human Resources or Business Management.  Most newer posts will probably have the Human Resources label attached in addition to a more specific topic label.  Miscellaneous HR topics that do not easily fall into any of the other categories will also receive this label.

Label - Personal
Occasionally, I like to discuss other personal interests on my blog.  This may have to do with a major life event, but it can also extend to areas such as creative interests.  Music, Science Fiction, and Ancestry will also be funneled into this label.  Personal/Professional items that discuss my own experience or resume will also have this label attached.

Label - Old Financial Blog Posts
As you may know, this used to be a financial blog.  When I came out of Temple University, Finance was my major and a primary interest.  I am still interested in it, but not as a career path anymore.  I think that it would be relevant to relabel all of those older posts that did not fit other categories as Old Financial Blog Posts.  That way, newer Human Resources minded readers will not be less confused when they find these older posts.

(updated 01/04/2013)
Label - Casual Friday
I wanted to add this label.  I have been using it for a few weeks now and find that it is quite handy.  This label is for my weekly lighter look at something in Human Resources, Management, or Business. 

I will begin to make these updates over the next week or so.  Please let me know of any labels that you think I should also be adding.

And remember all of you Human Resources professionals:  Be Human... Be a Resource...  Be a Resource for Humans.

Blogs Reviewed To See What They Did:
http://upstarthr.com/
http://strategic-hcm.blogspot.com/
http://evilhrlady.org/
http://hrvirtualcafe.com/
http://www.mcarthursrant.com/
http://punkrockhr.com/
http://brianfishbone.typepad.com/



Disclaimer:  The views expressed in this post are by the author Trevor Stasik, and do not necessarily reflect the views of any employer or any other organization. Please note, this information is based on my understanding and is only to be used for informational and educational purposes.  Do not take what I am writing as advice.  Seek your own legal counsel and/or see a tax accountant before making business or personal decisions.  The author of this post makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.


View Trevor Stasik's profile on LinkedIn
Post a Comment