Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Identity Theft Is No Game


I just saw a news fact that almost made me jump out of my shoes. This story at netscape
(Click Here For Story)
about how over a million and a half ID's were stolen from monster.com. That's a big problem. Consider somebody like myself that has a resume posted there. A thief could use the information to send spam and to phish. An even bigger problem that I just learned about is a thing called "ransomware". Apparently, the ID thieves can lock up your computer and force you to send them a fee before they will let you back into your computer. I have to tell you, that could be a big deal for anybody with stolen information.

You should also watch out for theives pilfering information the old fashioned way, too. Several years ago, someone stole my mail. They were able to use that information to break into my bank account and steal some money. ID theft is no game. Make sure you run your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs frequently. Keep an eye out for bank statements. Lastly, shred any confidential data.

In the game of life, sometimes the best offense is a good defense.
-------Trevor.

View Trevor Stasik's profile on LinkedIn

No comments: