Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Spell Check Is Not Always Your Friend


I'm taking a break from my series on Forecasting today to talk about something else that is very important.

As some of my readers may know, I am currently on a job search. I am looking for an analyst or project management position for after my graduation in May. Well, I have not been getting as many callbacks as I would have expected. I finally figured out why.

To my unfortunate surprise, I had been spelling "Management" as "Managment". Notice the missing "e" in the middle. Spell Check had missed it, and I had missed it during my proofreading. Nearly a hundred resumes over three weeks have gone out with a ridiculous spelling error. I've been telling people that I am the Vice-President of Communications in the Financial "Managment" Association. I don't know how I missed it, but you can bet I fixed it.

Spell Check isn't perfect. I hope that this can act as a reminder to any fellow job seekers out there to check, check, re-check, check again, and check some more for any spelling errors before sending out resumes and cover letters.

Good luck to all.
----Sincerely, Trevor Stasik


View Trevor Stasik's profile on LinkedIn

No comments: