Monday, September 3, 2007

Trevor Stasik: An Informal Introduction

I'm currently taking a class on Public Speaking. The first speech we have to give is one introducing ourselves in a 2-3 minute period. I found that it is really difficult to edit your whole life down to such a small area. There were many judicious cuts that needed to be made, but my class doesn't have time to learn about everything. Well, some of my blog readers might want to know more about me, so I'm going to copy and paste my planned speech below:

Hi, my name is Trevor Stasik. You know, when I was in first grade, the kids used to make fun of my name. They’d say, “Hey Trevor, how’s the weather?” I don’t understand why they chose the word “weather”. It would have made more sense to chose a word that rhymed better like: never, lever, or sever. Oh well.

I’m a bit older than most of you. I remember a time when Dave Grohl was still a drummer in Nirvana, and the Berlin Wall was still dividing Germany. I graduated from high school in 1996. Our family really didn’t make enough money to send me to college so I needed to pursue other options. I thought that the military might be an interesting option.

I joined the Navy when I was 17 and stayed in for a full 6 year enlistment. I trained and worked as an electrician on two nuclear reactors. My friends used to warn me that I’d come out glowing green, but it turns out that nuclear power is a lot safer than people think. Statistically speaking, the Earth will be destroyed by a stray comet before a Navy reactor can meltdown.

Following my time in the Navy, I decided to go into Film. I had worked on the movie Behind Enemy Lines when it was filmed on my ship. I had also worked on a number of independent short films. I love, love, love movies. So it seemed like a good idea for a college major. Unfortunately, the job market for film majors is filled with positions that are “volunteer only”. You’re lucky if you make a living for the first 10 years in that career path. If I ever wanted to start a family or buy a house, I needed to start thinking economically. I changed my major 2 years ago.

Which brings me to my current passion and career path: I am a senior in the Fox School of Business at Temple University, and a major in finance. I believe that I can make a good living and I can still be creative finding ways to make corporate projects profitable. I’m also working as the Vice-President of Communications for the Financial Management Association (FMA) here at Temple. I lead the team that produces the newsletter and website for the organization.

I look forward to graduation in 2008 and finally finding a job that pays well. Thanks for listening.

And thank you for visiting my blog.
If you want to know more about me, send me an email or drop me a comment.
-------Sincerely, Trevor Stasik.

This note added later: In case I have old friends trying to google search me, I've added a lot of tags at the bottom of this post. Hopefully it will make it easier for them to locate me.



View Trevor Stasik's profile on LinkedIn

No comments: